Wednesday, March 11, 2015

3/11/2015: O Day and IUI #1

I had another scan this morning and they found that I've finally ovulated (O)! The follicle they were keeping an eye on released the egg and there was fluid present around the follicle (another sign of O) so the IUI was scheduled for later in the morning.

My uterine lining was measuring 11.2mm and the tech said it looks great and really healthy. I hope that will help our chances! I don't know if this had anything to do with it (and the tech didn't either), but I've been eating an avocado, 8oz of Pom juice, and 2-3 servings of whole dairy per day since this cycle began. I have also been working hard to get selenium in (finally found Brazil Nuts, btw!) but I haven't been as diligent because I scared myself by reading about how easy it is to overdose on it.

I know the trigger shot is still in my system because I got a big fat positive (BFP) for the third day in a row before I even went in for my scan. I am starting to realize how hard it will be to not test during the two week wait (TWW).

The IUI was far less scary than I had imagined, which is great news. One of the nurses actually did the procedure, which I wasn't expecting but wasn't upset over. After paying for the procedure, I was shown to a room and the nurse explained what will happen since it's my first one. She left the room to get the sperm and I undressed from the waist down and got on the table under a sheet. When she returned we verified the data on the vials. One vial is directly from the cryobank and the other vial is where the thawed sample is. We read each vial to confirm the donor number, my patient number, name, and IUI date. It's crazy how small the vials are from the cryobank considering how much it cost! She also went over the andrology analysis with me. Here are the numbers on our sample:

  • 42.8 million count
  • 59% motility (they were really impressed by this!)
  • .4 ml volume (they said this was a bit lower than expected, but not to be worried)
  • 10.1 million motile sperm (of which we only need 1!!!)

Then she inserted the speculum and swabbed the cervical mucus away, which was the most uncomfortable part. Then she slid a very small catheter through my cervix into the uterus and inserted the specimen. I honestly didn't even feel it, which she said was due to my cervix being open. I'm hoping that is another good sign. After she removed all the instruments, she turned the lights down, put on some music, adjusted the exam table to tilt my pelvis, and instructed me to relax for about 15 minutes. Before and after the procedure I prayed to St. Gerard, the Patron Saint of motherhood. I hope he hears my prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment