Tuesday, February 24, 2015

2/24/2015: Officially starting the process!

Well, I can honestly say I have never been more excited to see my period! I started my period last night around 7pm which means today was Cycle Day 1 for Dr. K's purposes.

I called the ovulation induction nurse this morning and left a message. One of the awesome nurses called me back just a couple hours later. She set up my CD3 appointment for Thursday where they will take baseline blood-work and a trans-vaginal ultrasound. She also let me know that we can go ahead and order our sperm vials!

In previous conversations, the nurse let me know that some people order multiple vials at a time in order to cut down on shipping and handling costs. Any little bit helps when one try costs in excess of $1500.00 so we decided to go for it. Originally we were going to order two vials at a time, but we have enough money saved to do three tries total (including the IUI procedure and fertility drugs). J and I are hoping we won't need more than one try, but it's nice to know we have some flexibility.

Our vials should arrive at Dr. K's office on March 3rd. After my appointment on Thursday (CD3), once everything looks fine, I will start taking Letrozole through CD7 (Monday, 3/2). On CD8 (Tuesday, 3/3) I believe I will have another ultrasound and blood-draw. From this point, they're looking for mature follicles (18-20mm). Once I have a mature follicle I will have to give myself the "trigger" shot of Ovidrel. The insemination will then be scheduled. One week following the Ovidrel, they will do another blood-draw, this time looking for progesterone to confirm ovulation. Two weeks after the Ovidrel, they will do a blood pregnancy test.

According to my calculations, we will be inseminating sometime the week of March 9th and later taking the pregnancy test sometime during the week of March 23rd!

I hope J will be able to be with me for the insemination...she has a business trip that was just scheduled for that week. If my calculations are correct, she may be out of town when I find out if we are prego as well. If that's the case, then I will have even more opportunity to plan for a special way to tell her of any good news! :)

All of this is so exciting which, naturally, means I've been furiously Googling different IUI success tips and tricks. I would love for this one try to be the lucky one! I've read that women who consume 2-3 servings of whole dairy products have greater IUI success so I've been incorporating more of those into my diet. I've also read that pomegranate juice is supposed to help so I started having my 8oz./day last night after dinner. Another thing I've read is helpful are brazil nuts, but I can't find them for the life of me. I will keep trying, but I think it would be counter-intuitive to stress about them in the long run. I have a list of other things to ask Dr. K about: baby aspirin, a warm compress on the uterus post IUI, and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment