Friday, August 22, 2014

8/22/2014: Results appt. with Dr. K

This morning we had our appointment with Dr. K to go over the results from all the tests I've undergone. J is out of state for work so she joined us on speakerphone.

My ovaries are young. I have lots of eggs. And my tubes and uterus are open and ready for a baby!

That's the gist at least. I can't remember all the levels that she shared with me. I am borderline PCOS, but she doesn't want to diagnose it quite yet just because all my issues could boil down to metabolic syndrome. The weight is either the cause or the symptom.

We talked about the genetic test results a bit. She would recommend reaching out to the company who did the test to find out the incidence of being a carrier within the general population. J and I aren't super worried about having a deaf child so we'll ask them, but we won't be pursuing any genetic testing of our donors.

Dr. K reviewed the IUI procedure and how we would begin that process, which was really exciting to hear. Not because we didn't know how it worked, but because we are so close to really beginning to try and we can't wait! Because some of my hormones are on the PCOS borderline, Dr. K is recommending I use Letrozole (aka Femera) instead of Clomid because the former regulates male and female hormones in the body, which helps with fertility. She also mentioned that she'd prefer to go straight to Letrozole instead of trying Clomid and finding out I don't respond to it.

J and I told Dr. K that we've decided to wait until January so that we can work on losing weight and getting healthier in addition to saving more money. We are already on the hook for $1500 bucks or so. That was just for blood-work and genetic testing, which is insane. My current insurance won't cover the blood-work since it's being used for future infertility treatments, which is total bunk but lucky for us, open enrollment is coming in November and I've heard that some of the other plans cover more. Dr. K was really happy to hear this and said she wished all her patients were like us, because she hates to see people go through all the stress and emotions and financial costs if the chances are optimal.

I will need to meet with the PA regarding the Healthy Start program that Dr. K recommends. I don't know how soon I can get in to see her because this is about to be the busiest time of year for me at work. Hopefully it will be very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment